Marine Biology Resource Guide
Marine biology is much more than just fish and coral reefs. From complex ocean habitats and the many unique creatures that make up an ocean's biodiversity, marine biology encompasses many things. Discover the many that make up our oceans and seas.
- Marine Conservation: Information and ideas on conserving the ocean by promoting biodiversity and eliminating pollution.
- Ocean Conservancy: Organization dedicated to preserving ocean waters.
- Ocean Research and Conservation Association: Another organization that aims to maintain healthy oceans.
- Ocean Conservation Strategies: Outlines ideas and strategies for marine biologists.
- Institute for Ocean Conservation Science:Advances marine conservation through scientific discovery.
- Oceans and Marine Conservation: Department of State's page on ocean policy and conservation.
- Coral Reef Destruction and Conservation: Outlines how coral reefs are being destroyed and what can be done to protect them.
Marine Life Biodiversity
- Center for Marine Biodiversity and Conservation: UC San Diego's center for promoting biodiversity in our oceans.
- Overfishing - A Threat to Marine Biodiversity: Explains how overfishing certain species of fish can negatively impact biodiversity.
- Marine Biodiversity Index: Tons of research and information on ocean species and biodiversity.
- Global Ocean Biodiversity Initiative: Organization dedicated to promoting biodiversity across the planet.
- Deep-Sea Biodiversity and the Impacts of Ocean Dumping: Explains how pollution upsets the delicate biodiversity balance by the New York Bight.
- Ecosystems and Biodiversity: Describes various underwater ecosystems, including coral reefs.
- Biodiversity Sculpture Base: Outlines a variety of marine life found under the ocean.
Threatened and Endangered Species
- Red List of Threatened Ocean Species: List of endangered ocean animals.
- Species Protected Under the Endangered Species Act: Animals protected by the government, including fish and other sea life.
- NOAA Fisheries Office of Protected Resources: Information on what's being done to protect endangered marine species.
- Ocean Habitats: Extensive desription of common ocean habitats including beaches, estuaries, and coral reefs.
- Tour of Ocean Habitats: Great visual exploration of various marine habitats.
- National Geographic - The Ocean: Tons of information on ocean life and habitat.
- Learn About Ocean Habitats: Information on the many different habitats, specifically for kids.
- Secrets of the Ocean Realm: Explores the creatures and habitats that make up the ocean.
- Life in the Ocean: Details four of the main habitats in detail.
- More Ocean Habitats: Information on estuaries, reefs, atolls, and the ocean floor.
Marine Biology Programs
- Texas A&M Department of Marine Biology
- Hawai'i Institute of Marine Biology
- University of Washington Department of Marine Biology
- Oregon Institue of Marine Biology
- UC Santa Barbera Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology
- UCLA Department of Ecology and Marine Biology
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Florida International University Marine Sciences Department
- Marine Sciences Program at UConn
- Boston University Marine Program
- Carolina Coastal University Marine Science Program
- University of Miami Marine Science Program
- Stony Brook University School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
- University of Rhode Island Marine Biology Program